Saturday, June 5, 2010

Mother of the Year

In the spring of 1967, I was nominated by my ward Relief Society in Tarzana, California as Mother of the Year, and was chosen runner-up to Dale Evans in the state of California. This was such a complete surprise. I couldn’t sleep or think for several days. I was such an unknown person in that great state and our applications were judged by entire strangers to me. On May 3rd there was a reception for the mother and also the alternates, myself and Mrs. Collier, a Negro lady form Los Angeles. There I stood beside Dale Evans in the reception line, and she remarked that I had a legion of relatives and friends. It was decided that I should be to New York to the mothers conference and festivities of the judging of the American Mother of the Year from the fifty states. It was a very wonderful experience. Mary Jane Kloepfer, my daughter and Edna, Dale’s wife accompanied me. We had a glorious time, with a room in the great Astoria Hotel where all the state mothers were housed. The programs each day were elaborate and lovely, and we met many outstanding women of our nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment